You’ve heard about it, you’ve seen it being used, but what does Apple Cider Vinegar ACTUALLY do for our health and skin?
In 400 B.C. Hippocrates, the founder of medicine as a science, used apple cider vinegar for its exceptional natural detox cleansing, healing, and energising properties. He would prescribe apple cider vinegar mixed with honey for its added health benefits.
Apple Cider Vinegar is a great natural product to help with skin troubles and also maintaining healthy and smooth skin. It is great for treating warts, blemishes and even acne.
How does it work?
- It unclogs pores, preventing breakouts and allowing the skin to breathe properly.
- It helps in creating a protective layer on our skin, and helps in preventing our skin from becoming too dry.
- ACV has high levels of beta-carotene, which combats damage caused by free radicals, giving us healthy and youthful skin
- Apple cider vinegar has antiseptic and antibacterial properties which help protect our skin from pollution and harmful bacteria.
- Apple Cider Vinegar restores the balance of our pH factor. It’s pH is similar to our own skin.
- Always dilute Apple Cider Vinegar, initially try one part Apple Cider Vinegar with one part Water, and if your skin seems to cope well with this, you can increase the amount of Apple Cider Vinegar you use.
- Personally, I use ACV as a toner, so I take a damp cotton pad, apply some ACV and gently apply it to my skin. It doesn’t need washing off, just leave it a few minutes and continue with your daily skincare routine/apply makeup as usual.
- Depending on your skin’s sensitivity, use every other day or every day. -
- Do a skin test: Apply some to a small area of your skin and see how it reacts.
- Use sunscreen or a moisturiser containing SPF afterwards. Apple cider vinegar can increase your skin’s sensitivity to ultra-violet rays. Alternatively, use before going to bed so you don’t have to worry about this! Health Benefits:
- Apple cider vinegar improves insulin sensitivity and helps lower blood sugar responses after meals and so is used to help treat Type 2 Diabetes
- Acetic acid, a large component in ACV, can kill harmful bacteria and prevent them from multiplying. For this it is effective as a disinfectant or natural preservative.
- Some people believe apple cider vinegar helps weight loss, mainly by promoting satiety and lowering blood sugar and insulin levels. It also is thought to increase individual’s feeling of fullness, meaning smaller portions of foods and calories, leading to weight loss.
- Several studies have shown that vinegar can reduce blood triglycerides, cholesterol and blood pressure. This reduces the risk of developing heart disease.
- You can either take a shot of it straight from the bottle every morning
- Alternatively you can make a drink out of ½ tsps of ACV mixed with water and some honey to sweeten the solution!
Where to buy?