The ideal summery, quenching cocktail, but is it the ideal summer skin fix? There’s coconut oil, coconut milk, even coconut water… but why does everyone love coconuts and what can it do for us?!
Coconut on its own
Whole coconut, sometimes known as coconut meat, that’s either fresh or dried is where most of the nutrients are found. It is:
- Full of Amino Acids and Protein. ...
- A Source of Dietary Iron. ...
- Good at Fighting Abdominal Weight Gain. ...
- High in potassium
- Full of fibre
- Easy to Digest.
I see coconut water absolutely everywhere at the minute. Coconut water is the clear liquid found inside green, immature coconuts. Young coconuts are favoured for their sweeter tasting water.
In 100ml of fresh coconut water you'd expect about 2.7mg of sugar but be aware that the coconut water found on supermarket shelves is likely to be higher in sugar. However, it does still have less sugar and fewer calories compared to many juices, soft drinks and sports drinks.
Coconut water also contains some potassium, which is essential for heart health and good skeletal and muscular function.
Coconut water is a relatively low-calorie drink compared to sugary fizzy drinks or juices.
Coconut water is claimed to be a heart healthy drink because of its potassium content. Potassium has been shown to lower blood pressure) by counteracting the effects of sodium that can cause blood pressure to rise
Always check the label and look for pure coconut water. Avoid flavoured varieties as they tend to have a higher sugar content and so will be higher in calories too.
People drink lots of Soya, Almond, Oat and Coconut Milk nowadays because dairy seems to be getting an increasingly bad rep.
- Improves Heart Health by Lowering Blood Pressure and Cholesterol.
- Builds Muscle and Helps Lose Fat. ...
- Helps Lose Weight. ...
- Improves Digestion
- Manages Blood Sugarand Controls Diabetes. ...
- Helps Prevent Anaemia
For me, Coconut Oil is a must have for skincare. It’s great to consume, but also amazing when applied topically. It’s great for softening skin, moisturising and removing makeup.
- Coconut is great for a deep detox of the skin
- Coconut oil is full of antibacterial properties great for preventing and fighting blemishes
- Coconut is a natural barrier from the sun and can also treat sun burn!
- Coconut oil can preserve the smoothness of the face and keep it wrinkle free